Wednesday, September 14, 2016

In Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice, why does Shylock hate Antonio and want revenge against him?

Shylock and Antonio have a bad history. For one, they both disdain one another because of their religions. Shylock sees Christians as sanctimonious, like Antonio, or wild, like Gratiano and his friends. Antonio also expresses antisemitism. Shylock says to Antonio, “You call me misbeliever, cut-throat dog, / And spit upon my Jewish gaberdine.”


On top of that, the two have very different views of money, partly because Shylock’s main source of income is through charging interest. This is due to his outsider status as a Jewish man in Venice. Not many job opportunities were available to him. Antonio’s practice of lending “out money gratis” (without interest) undercuts Shylock’s business. Antonio sees Shylock as greedy and predatory, “and he rails, / Even there where merchants most do congregate, / On me [Shylock], my bargains and my well-won thrift.”


There is also a personal animosity between the two men. Antonio has kicked, insulted, and spat upon Shylock. When Shylock justifies usury by using examples in the Bible, Antonio compares him to the devil, “An evil soul,” “a villain,” and “A goodly apple rotten at the heart.”


Shylock’s fury is released when his daughter Jessica runs off with a Christian and steals his money. He decides to take out his anger on Antonio. It is then that he clearly describes his hatred against Antonio:



He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million; laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies; and what's his reason? I am a Jew.



Shylock’s deep resentment cannot be assuaged by pleas for mercy. However, in the end, Antonio is released, and Shylock is the only one to pay for his hatred.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are hearing tests?

Indications and Procedures Hearing tests are done to establish the presence, type, and sever...