Friday, June 17, 2016

In Act II of The Crucible,we found out about Proctor's weakness. What exactly was his weakness, and is his new weakness really believable?

I believe that I could do a better job of answering the question about Proctor's weakness if I knew exactly which weakness the question might be referring to.  I initially suspected that the weakness might be referencing Proctor's affair with Abigail, but the reader knows about that from Act I.  I think the weakness that the question is asking about is John Proctor's inability to recite all ten commandments.  Hale showed up at the Proctor household in order to better understand some of the families that have been "somewhat mentioned" in the court proceedings.  



ELIZABETH: (Softly.) I am accused?


MARY: You were somewhat mentioned. But I said I never see no sign you ever sent your spirit out to hurt no one, and seeing I do live so closely with you, they dismissed it



During his interview of John and Elizabeth Proctor, he asks John to say his commandments.  John is able to say nine of the ten.  He draws a blank and forgets the commandment against adultery.  The omission reminds the audience that John indeed also broke that particular law.  



Thou shalt not bear false witness. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.


HALE: You have said that twice, sir.


PROCTOR: Aye.


ELIZABETH: (Delicately.) Adultery, John.


PROCTOR: (As though a secret arrow has pained his heart.) Aye! (Trying to grin it away—to Hale.) You see, sir, between the two of us we do know them all. (Hale only looks at Proctor, deep in his attempt to define this man. Proctor grows more uneasy.) I think it be a small fault.


HALE: (Thoughtfully and regretfully.) Theology, sir, is a fortress; no crack in a fortress may be accounted small.



Is it believable that John forgot one of the ten commandments?  Yes, I believe it is.  He is in a high pressure situation.  He's stressed about the general health of the town, and he is especially stressed that his wife is somewhat mentioned.  Stress does funny things to the mind and body.  Muddled thinking is one of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are hearing tests?

Indications and Procedures Hearing tests are done to establish the presence, type, and sever...