Tuesday, June 11, 2013

In chapter 5 of Tuck Everlasting, what details are missing from the chapter?

I suppose a reader could list out a large number of details that are missing from chapter five.  A lot would depend on how obscure of a detail that a person is looking for.  For example, chapter five tells readers that "Winnie woke early next morning."  The text then goes on to say that the sun was just rising.  That's a good enough description for me, but precisely what time it is has been left out.  


Another simple detail that has been left out is Jesse Tuck's eye color.  The description of him is very detailed.  The paragraph about his looks is the second longest paragraph in the chapter.  Readers learn about his build, his curly hair and its color, the state of his clothes, and even the fact that he is holding a twig between his toes.  Jesse's eye color is not mentioned, which strikes me as odd, because eye color is a fairly standard detail that authors typically give about characters.  


One final missing detail from this chapter that I found unnerving during my first reading of this book is the fact that Jesse knows who Winnie's family is.  



"It's my wood," said Winnie, surprised by the question. "I can come here whenever I want to. At least, I was never here before, but I could have come, any time."


"Oh," said the boy, relaxing a little. "You're one of the Fosters, then."



The fact that Jesse knows about her family, and she doesn't know about him, doesn't bother her at all.  That's odd, if you ask me.  I would be immediately wary of somebody that I've never met that knows about me, my family, and what we do and do not own.  The detail missing from this chapter is any kind of information about why Jesse Tuck would know this information.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are hearing tests?

Indications and Procedures Hearing tests are done to establish the presence, type, and sever...