Sunday, April 4, 2010

What quotes from Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice suggest that Shylock is not a "typical" villain?

A villain is typically a cruel, malicious individual who wishes to harm others because they are inherently wicked. However, the character of Shylock from the play The Merchant of Venice is not a typical villain. Although Shylock is the play's antagonist, Shakespeare humanizes Shylock and creates a sense of sympathy for his character by illustrating how Shylock has been persecuted and treated unfairly throughout his life. In Act One, Scene Three, Shylock tells Antonio,



"Signior Antonio, many a time and oft in the Rialto you have rated me about my moneys and my usances: Still have I borne it with a patient shrug, for suff'rance is the badge of all our tribe. You call me misbeliever, cut-throat dog, and spit upon my Jewish gaberdine, and all for use of that which is mine own" (1.3.104-111).



Shylock points out to Antonio how he has always humbly taken Antonio's abuse and scorn without arguing or retaliating. Shakespeare again humanizes Shylock in Act Three, Scene One when Shylock tells Salerio the reasons why he will take Antonio's flesh if he does not pay the bond. Shylock says,



"To bait fish withal: if it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge. He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million; laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies; and what's his reason? I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his sufferance be by Christian example? Why, revenge. The villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction" (3.1.44-51).



Shylock is portrayed as a sensitive individual who has a legitimate right to take Antonio's flesh. Shylock is no different than any other man and mentions how Christians seek revenge whenever Jews wrong them. Unlike other villains, Shylock has a legitimate reason to be upset and seek revenge because he was persecuted his entire life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are hearing tests?

Indications and Procedures Hearing tests are done to establish the presence, type, and sever...