Monday, April 4, 2011

In Night by Elie Wiesel, what is Moshe trying to do with his stories?

In Night by Elie Wiesel, Moshe is trying to convince the Jewish people of Sighet to prepare for the worst and to possibly find a safe haven somewhere else. Moshe was in the first group of Jews expelled from his home, and he miraculously escapes the fate of many of his peers. He makes it back to Sighet, but nobody will take him seriously. The other Jews will not believe him when Moshe tells them that the Nazis took him and his fellow Jews into the woods, forced them to dig their own graves and then summarily shot them and buried them there. Nobody will believe Moshe when he says he managed to escape the same fate. The townspeople look at him as though he is crazy. He tells his student Elie:



"'You don't understand,' he said in despair. 'You can't understand. I have been saved miraculously. I managed to get back here. Where did I get the strength from? I wanted to come back to Sighet to tell you the story of my death. So that you could prepare yourselves while there was still time. To live? i don't attach any importance to my life any more. I'm alone. No, I wanted to come back, and to warn you. And see how it is, no one will listen to me (Wiesel 5).


No comments:

Post a Comment

What are hearing tests?

Indications and Procedures Hearing tests are done to establish the presence, type, and sever...