Tuesday, October 12, 2010

In "By the Waters of Babylon" by Stephen Vincent Benet, do the gods assist John? Why or why not?

After thinking about this question, I am going to support the response of no, the gods do not assist John. 


I am going to support that response with a practical reason.  The gods are all dead.  I'm not speaking from the position of atheism or anything like that, either.  John, and his people, believe that the Place of the Gods (New York City) is occupied with real life gods.  John is terrified to even look at the city, which is why it is amazing that he gets the courage to cross the Hudson.  John discovers all kinds of things in the city.  However, the most important thing that he discovers is that the gods are all regular men and women like him, and John sees that all of the former "gods" are all dead.  



That is all of my story, for then I knew he was a man—I knew then that they had been men, neither gods nor demons.



The "gods" could not have physically helped John in any way, because they are all dead.  I do not think that John got spiritual support from the gods either.  John is forbidden to look at the city and go into it.  The gods are looked upon with fear.  They are not portrayed as benevolent and loving.  John does ask for spiritual help before crossing the Hudson, but he addresses his song to nameless "spirits," not gods.  



Open your hearts, you spirits, and hear my song.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What are hearing tests?

Indications and Procedures Hearing tests are done to establish the presence, type, and sever...