Wednesday, February 19, 2014

How can I get Judge Taylor's voice in TKAM monologue? Below I have written a monologue from Judge Taylor in To Kill A Mockingbird but I...

How can I get Judge Taylor's voice in TKAM monologue?


Below I have written a monologue from Judge Taylor in To Kill A Mockingbird but I struggle to accomplish that nonchalant voice of his. You have no idea how thankful I would be if you would help me edit my piece (voice, grammar-errors, accent, believability, etc.). Thank you all for your help:) 


I chose to write about his opinion on Tom Robinson's conviction (he was clearly upset about the verdict, but did not do anything further about it) and the town's prejudice. Here is my monologue:



Time: Few hours after the trial.


Place: Outside the courthouse in a public opening. Some of Maycomb’s citizens have come to hear Judge Taylor’s speech.



A Confession From Judge Taylor


Today I killed a man. No, that is not the whole truth; today I killed an innocent man. Today I killed Tom Robinson. I had the authority to declare a verdict unjust, but in the case of Tom Robinson, I did not do so. Why, you may ask? Well, that is a question I cannot answer with certainty, but I will give it a try.


I believe in the justice system and walked to court the morning of Tom Robinson’s trial, determined to keep the case as fair a possible. But when the moment came for me to declare the verdict biased, I hesitated. When the time for me came to do my duty truly, I hesitated. What would happen if I, the man who is believed to be near careless, went above and beyond to demonstrate my support for blacks? Would my own wife be able to face me, seeing a stranger? Would I lose the town’s respect for me, the respect that I’ve fought to earn and maintain? I, John Taylor, Judge of Maycomb, was too preoccupied with preserving my reputation to give Tom the liberty he deserved, and that cowardly action of mine will haunt me to the day I die.


I sincerely regret the unforgivable harm I have done to the lives of Tom Robinson and his family, however, I did not come here to solely weep over my mistakes. No, I will not take all the blame.


As I was born and raised in Maycomb, I know everyone, their achievements, their secrets, and their sins. I also know, though many of you will contradict me, that this town is infected by prejudice. This is a fact, and there is nothing to be denied in that statement. I appointed Atticus as Mr. Robinson’s defense counsel in hope of maintaining an unbiased court, but, in the name of god, how was I wrong.


Though I committed a severe mistake in approving the verdict, I cannot deny that I did not attempt to influence the jury into making the right decision. I admit to deliberately make Bob Ewell look like the fool he is, with the hope of showing the jury that the man cannot be trusted. The jury remained ignorant as if blinded. Now, I have a simple question for you all: Why? Why do you have a repulsive need to oppress others? Why destroy an innocent man’s life, for goodness’ sake? Innocent! To you he may be a mere object to satisfy your cravings of feeling superior, but he is of flesh and bone just like everyone in this goddamn place. Is this really what you want, hide under prejudice whenever you feel like it, and then push the guilt away? You cannot pretend to be innocent anymore, and I can assure you of one thing: I will not tolerate more of such behavior in my court. And you are as guilty as the jury that does the nasty job for you. The whole confounded town was on trial and, yes, you won, but was it worth it? Do you feel better now that you’ve got it your way, or will life just go on as if nothin’ happened? Let me tell you this, Tom Robinson’s blood is on our hands, and no matter how you hard you try to twist the situation, you are responsible for a man’s death. You shall take that crime with you to the grave. I hope you will let that sink in.


There is no more to say on that matter; I have admitted my part, now, is anyone going to do the same? May some of you too find the strength to stand up against the evilness that occupies our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are hearing tests?

Indications and Procedures Hearing tests are done to establish the presence, type, and sever...